What We Don't Fund
As a private foundation created from the sale of two community hospitals, there are some limitations to what we can fund. These limitations are derived from our organizing documents or from IRS regulations.
We do not support:
- direct grants to individuals
- fundraising drives and events
- retirement of debt
- operating deficits
- projects that directly influence legislation, political activities or candidates for public office
- programs that are customarily operated by hospitals in Massachusetts
- projects that provide no direct benefit to the health of those who live and work in one of the 25 communities served by the foundation
- organizations that are neither tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code or instrumentalities of state or local government.
The foundation does not award grants to organizations that discriminate in the provision of services on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnicity, marital status, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation or veteran status.